Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Keeper


For a long time now
I've felt as if I was shrinking
The lights dimmed, the sounds grew softer

I told myself 'things will get better'
And tried to rationalize
My most primitive feelings
Into acceptable behavior

But I've gone long now
And I no longer feel hungry
When I do not eat
Thirst no longer parches my throat
Because I do not speak

I climb the familiar staircase
An odd companion for what feels like ages
And I count the steps
As if they will end

But eventually I reach the top
Five flights later
And I turn the key
The door swings open to my beacon in the world

I've waited so long
I've grown tired of being tired
So I extinguish the light
Blackness embraces the rocks

So I give to you all that I have left
My money, my possessions
Take my skin, take my bones
Perhaps they'll find a happier home

No comments: