Monday, May 12, 2008

Love and Hate


The title of this post contains two words that most would consider polar opposites. But in my own experiences I've noticed an odd pattern. Maybe I'm a weirdo, but in many instances women that I become attracted to start out in my mind as those who annoy me.

Usually the annoyance is a result of the way they speak, their mannerisms, or their overall attitude toward life. I view them with disdain, cringe upon hearing them laugh, or roll my eyes when they blather on and on about some totally inane topic in a completely inappropriate forum. But somehow, amidst all these negative feelings an attraction is formed. I can't quite figure out why this is, but it's been said in order to create a spark you have to have friction.

Maybe it's more superficial than that. Maybe I find the person attractive subconsciously but it's masked by how repulsed I am by their behavior and after awhile I become numb to their idiocy and only notice how alluring they are.

Who knows. Oh well, they say keep your friends close and your enemies closer, perhaps I'm just following that adage.

No comments: