Wednesday, September 2, 2009

From the berry

It's almost 9 PM on Wednesday. I'm currently sitting in the library. The first floor has this nice reading room. If you look up the ceiling extends to the 3rd floor. There are a dozen large rectangular desks which each seat 4 people...but in most cases (and in mine) there's only 1 person at the desk. I like having lots of room to spread out. There's also some decent lighting and electrical outlets for my laptop. Upon first entering the library the room is a bit intimidating because it seems so formal and out in the open at the same time. But from the perspective of the actual desk, it's actually kinda homey and cozy. Everyone is silently buried in books so there's very little social interaction, but still, the mere presence of other living people in the room is comforting.

Some people jokingly call it the 'gunner pit'. For those who don't know a 'gunner' is a student who is super-competitive to the point of being ruthless. I guess the idea that those who sit down here and study in plain view of so many people would be gunners makes sense. The second floor of the library has the most study space by far. It feels much less formal and also has some great lighting.

I'm here a bit out of necessity. The wireless internet I was using has mysteriously vanished, much to my dismay. However, perhaps working at the library will increase my efficiency. I'm currently listening to Pandora Radio and have a nice Herbie Hancock station going. Nice tunes...no lyrics...all good.

1 comment:

Demers said...

You're one of those guys who takes up entire desks!!