Sunday, September 27, 2009

I care about football

The most emotional you'll see me on a regular basis is when I'm watching football games. I jump up and down, I rock back and forth, full of nervous energy and anxiety. I yell and scream for joy...I curse and throw things across the room. It's by far the most animated I get. Hell, it's probably the most emotional I've gotten about ANYTHING in my life thus far.

Most people probably see this and think I'm a nut. Why would I care about some NFL game that has no personal connection to me? I'm not a member of the team. I'm not playing. I don't even know anyone on the team personally. I have no control over the outcome of the game - no matter how loudly I curse at the TV.

Am I crazy for caring so much about something which I have no control over and little tangible personal connection? I think not.

Think about the things you care about the most...or the things you get emotional about. How much control do you have over them? How personal are things to you?

I'm sure you're firing back with people. You care about people that you love. You get upset when they die. I understand the personal connection - I'm not so inhuman that I feel no connection to people. I don't, however, get upset over people dying. Most people become extremely emotional when dealing with death. It's totally beyond their control most of the time, yet it still triggers the biggest outpouring of feeling.

Why do I have to ask permission to be upset over things? I say be upset/emotional over whatever you want...no matter how insignificant or random it may be. Being emotional is what makes people human. I'd rather live a life of ups and downs than flat-lining at neutral.

No comments: