Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Future of Eating

It's late...I'm tired and feeling full as a result of consuming 3 rolls of sushi for dinner.

But I had this really odd idea about the future of eating and nutrition.

I enjoy food...the smell, the taste, the textures, the presentation, the story behind it. However, one thing I don't care for is the feeling of it sitting in my stomach once it's been swallowed.

Imagine in the future there's some weird bypass valve in your esophagus which allows you to chew, taste, and swallow food...but instead of it going to your stomach to be digested it's diverted to an external tube. You get minimal absorption of nutrients and calories but you still enjoy the taste, texture, etc.

I know it sounds really gross to imagine your food coming out of your throat and going into a waste receptacle of some sort, but think about it.

You could experience all the good parts of eating without worrying about all the extra calories, fats, cholestrol and so forth. Plus since the food doesn't actually reach your stomach you could 'eat' all day!

I often eat for the flavor and texture, not because I'm hungry. This would suit me quite well.

Of course we'd still need nutrition, but in the future perhaps we can use this same bypass tube to pump perfectly balanced nutritional broth into our stomachs. It'd probably taste horrible, but since it skips your mouth you'd never have to suffer through it!

You'd get the best of both worlds:
- Enjoy as much of all the foods you love without any of the negative consequences
- Get the perfect nutrition without having to deal with gross tasting foods

Genius!

No comments: