Monday, January 14, 2008

Remembrance













You know, you could die at any moment. I'm not trying to freak you out, but it's true. I could have a heart attack as I type this very blog entry which in the case that that happens (yes, two usages of 'that' in a row) you'll probably see something like thissssssssssssss.......;j afdsfa
sj jsiafjij;a 4t
MJ

...of course I wouldn't be able to hit 'Publish Post' to upload this entry so it'd never make it to the web, but you get my point.

Anyway, the point is despite our perceived sense of security and longevity the randomness of the universe makes it possible that your life will end at any moment with or without warning.

One of the first things we do upon hearing the news of someone's death is to reflect on his or her life. In my experience most people want to do something admirable with their lives, make some significant contribution to society or cause some sort of change for the better. Often times achieving such momentous accomplishments takes a lifetime of hard work and perseverance. It may mean making many self sacrifices for the greater good of the people. It may also mean not receiving any recognition for your work in your lifetime, if at all.

It could take a long time.

But what happens if you don't live long enough to make it happen?

I'm 24 right now. I haven't really accomplished anything noteworthy other than graduate high school and graduate college, but hell, millions of people have done that. No one is going to be writing an article in world history books or even Wikipedia about my graduations.

If I was to die today what would the world remember me for?

Ask yourself this question.

The bigger point I'm trying to illustrate here is that you shouldn't view your life goal as the pinnacle of a mountain that requires decades and decades to reach. Your success shouldn't be defined by a singular achievement or quantifiable figure. For instance, many people use money as a goal. It's common, it's easily counted, and with enough time and hard work (or luck or criminal activity) you can get enough of it to reach your goal. But if you never make that number, was your life a failure?

Define your legacy by the way you live your life on a day-to-day basis. People will remember how you treated them, your personality, your passions... These things are much more important than the fact that you invented the light bulb or discovered radium.

I'm not diminishing the importance of inventions or scientific discovery, but as for me...I'd rather be remembered for the type of person I was rather than what knowledge or materials I left behind.

No comments: