Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Belated New Years' Resolutions

So I didn't really make any at midnight to bring in 2008 so I'll make some now that I'll probably end up breaking sometime within the next year. I'm pretty big on continuous self-improvement even though I seem to lose motivation frequently.

1. Stop drinking soda
I actually had kept this up from the time I graduated college for at least a year but then I caved in after drinking nothing but water bored me.

2. Stop drinking coffee
This one isn't as hard. It's strange sometimes I can chug coffee and get nothing out of it. Other times I get what I think is a caffeine "buzz" but I don't really feel energetic. Instead I feel jittery and nervous and actually a bit tired. After it wears off I feel really sluggish. It sucks.

3. Stop eating anything that's deep-fried, namely fries.

Another change I made at the same time as the first soda avoidance attempt. I also had kept at it for quite a long time. Avoiding fries is pretty easy, but stuff like chicken nuggets or potato chips will be harder.

4. Floss daily
This one I initially thought would be really hard. I'm pretty regimented about brushing my teeth but flossing was always a pain due to the fact that it's hard to reach the very back teeth. And of course if you don't floss regularly you get pain and bleeding. For about 2 months now though I've been flossing daily, thanks in part to my purchase of a flossing aid. It's basically a toothbrush handle with a specialized flossing head that you can replace. It makes it very easy to floss between the very back teeth in your mouth. Now that it's part of my bedtime regimen it's quite easy.

5. Call my parents at least twice a week
I think right now I usually call about once a week. It's a bit tricky sometimes as I have to work around my parents' work schedule, dinner time, early bed time, etc. Usually by Thursday I'll feel the urge to call. As with all things I think this would be made easier if I had specific dates I'd call every week. Maybe like...Wednesday and Saturday.

6. Exercise daily

I'm still in pretty decent shape despite not having been at a gym in about a year. I've kept active in sports leagues though doing flag football 2 years, volleyball, and 2 seasons of basketball. I've been wanting to take BJJ, but I keep putting it off. So for this resolution I'll say this. Every night when I'm at home I'll pump out 100 pushups, 100 situps, and 100 calf raises and 100 squats. Note to self: remember to stretch.

Okay that's enough resolutions for now, I'll post again to update my progress at maintaining these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't see any plane for your future?
working? studying? merry???

Anonymous said...

typo,
Marry?