Thursday, March 8, 2007

Travel

I don’t really like to travel. I mean long distances especially. Travel is tiring, it requires planning, and from the physics side of things, requires energy (work) to move your body relative to the ground it stands on.

However, I was wondering how far I’ve traveled in my life. I don’t mean how many trips I’ve been on to what countries (I’ve been in the US including Hawaii, Canada, Taiwan, Japan (airport only) and France). I mean every single step I have taken or been transported on via car, bus, train, plane, boat, etc from the moment I was born until now.

Imagine if you were born with a GPS transmitter embedded in your body and as soon as you moved your first foot…it was recorded. Now imagine if you could look at a 3D visualization of the world and see your movement plotted chronologically. I think that would be pretty awesome. If you zoomed out you’d see all those flights you took to other countries, or zoom in and you can see the time you walked from your room to the kitchen. It would be an interesting way of viewing history. You would know where you were and when. This would probably be enough to evoke memories of what you were doing!

There could be negative effects though…”Big Brother” anyone?

No comments: