Thursday, April 3, 2008

Preview: What is Domestic Abuse?

Note: I'm probably going to be writing this in parts, because I feel like it.

Part I.
Hi, I'm a man. That comes with a side of bias. Do you believe in gender equality? I think I do. I once took a speech class during my sophomore year of college. A senior in my class named Allison gave a speech about feminism. After class ended I was walking with her (probably because I harbored a bit of a crush) and I was asking her about her speech. She explained to me that feminism wasn't about just gaining more rights for women, but ensuring equality for EVERYONE, male or female. I suppose there could be male feminists then, huh?

I definitely found that a unique way of describing something I knew very little about. So I kept that in mind...that it should be about gender equality. Now historically in American society, females have had less rights than males, so it's not surprising that in order to achieve 'equality' change has mostly come on the female side. However, there are some other cultures that aren't dominated by men. The Wemale culture of Seram Island in Indonesia is an example. Many animals also live in matriarchal societies. List from Wikipedia:

* Ants
* Bees
* Bison
* Bonobos
* Elephants
* Killer Whales
* Lions
* Spotted Hyenas
* Naked Mole Rats
* Termites

I deleted 'snakes' from the list because I don't believe snakes live in societies. Maybe I'm wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a snake, and i live in a cultured society.

how dare you sir.
how dare you.

Anonymous said...

You know what I don't get? How could House Slytherin be anything but evil? Good job writing skillfully, Rowling...

Demers said...

Nice story about your sophomore year crush. I agree that snakes aren't really a good proxy for human societies. Have you seen this. http://www.yoursmallbizexpert.com/Portals/5/Documents/1943_Guide_to_Hiring_Women.pdf

Demers said...

Stupid link didn't work. Here it is again. See if I can remember html...
Link