Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Goodbye, Cosmo


http://live.psu.edu/story/29831?nw=5

Today marks a sad day in Penn State history. It has been announced that the revered dining hall staple, the Chicken Cosmo, will be put into retirement. It certainly will be a first ballot Dining Hall of Famer and will undoubtedly eventually be joined by other legends such as the West Hall Cookies and Creamery Ice Cream.

Why the sudden departure you might ask? Well, it turns out that the manufacturer of these wonderful breaded chicken patties, Pierce Chicken Products, is discontinuing the item. You see, for some reason unfathomable to me, Penn State is the ONLY consumer of this epicurean delight. And despite the most valiant consumption efforts to the tune of over a quarter-million patties eaten per year (274,000 to be exact) it is not enough to keep Pierce satisfied.

I can fondly reflect on the hundreds of Chicken Cosmos I personally savored in my college days. For lunch or for dinner in the hallowed Simmons Dining Hall, the Chicken Cosmo always fit the bill with its crispy deep fried exterior and its juicy, succulent mostly-white meat interior. Slather the bun with mayonnaise, top with lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion and it was truly a meal fit for JoePa. Although I've since given up eating deep fried foods, I will always remember the sensations of sinking my hungry teeth into a luscious Chicken Cosmo.

There may be little we can do to prevent this departure so it is with heavy heart and empty stomach I bid adieu to a lunchtime great - the Chicken Cosmo.

Readers - I urge you to share any memories you have of Cosmo, bittersweet as they may be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your mom's a breaded chicken patty.

allovertheeowl said...

your mom comments on my blog.