Friday, August 28, 2009

Soft ball

So it's pretty much mandatory that people here play softball. My section has a team and we had our first practice today. I consider myself slightly-above average in terms of athletic ability, but for some reason I've never really played baseball or softball. I can throw a ball with moderate velocity and most of the time I'll be able to catch a ball if it's thrown half-decently. Batting is definitely a weak point. I've seen so much of it on tv, but it seems so technical.

I've always been the type of person who wants to learn the 'right way' to do things...all the little nuances and things you should think about to get the right form, but frankly I think experience might be the better teacher.

In this league the ball has to be lobbed, so making contact with the ball shouldn't be too difficult for most people. The hard part is putting the ball on the field so you'll give yourself a chance to make it to first.

The games don't figure to be ultra-competitive so I think it'll be fun. I would like to get a lot better though so I don't feel so feeble swinging the bat so hard (at least I think I'm swinging it hard) and watching the ball travel 9 feet.

I'm actually a bit more interested in the defensive side of things. This isn't that surprising as that tends to be my forte in every sport I play. In table tennis I've always been more of a defensive player who just returns until my opponent messes up. In football I've relished playing on the defensive line where I can just rush the passer...and basketball I take more pride in playing lockdown defense, getting rebounds, or blocking shots. Part of this may be my lack of offensive skill, but I always feel like defense is a bit of an unappreciated aspect of sports.

They say defense wins championships, after all.

It'd be cool to get the softball team working on defense like a well-oiled machine. Ball is hit, players run to the right locations, catch is made, ball is thrown with speed and precision to the right place...and to the next place... It must be sweet to turn a double play...kinda like blocking a shot into the stands.

No comments: