Friday, August 21, 2009

Bloggin' bloggin'

So it's Friday - the end of the first week of class. It wasn't a full week though since we only started on Wednesday, but I got through it.

So far the experience of class has been exhilarating but stressful. There's always the fear of being called upon and either not knowing what's going on or giving a totally incompetent answer. The nature of the Socratic Method means that you'll rarely hear a student give an end-all answer where the professor mere replies, 'Yes, that's correct.' At the same time, I know sounding smart in class doesn't get you many (if any) bonus points on the final, yet it's hard to resist the pressure.

The class on its own is so intellectually stimulating and confusing at the same time. Yesterday I have 5 hours of class yet I found myself at near 100% alertness every minute. I certainly can't say the same for my previous education. Everything is so new - not just the subject matter but the language itself. Speaking of which, I need to figure out if I want to order a physical or digital copy of a legal dictionary.

I just finished tidying up a bit since I had a few minutes before my only class of the day. It definitely does help with organization to have a clean workspace and apartment. So far I feel like I've done an admirable job - my mother and father would be proud. It's amazing how much motivation can be provided by having a roommate (who you wish to not think you're a total slob).

So what else is going on today...I need to go to the gym, perhaps clean a bit more, and I need to cook for the potluck today. I'm going to make my mother's recipe for Asian peanut butter noodles. It may sound a bit odd to you, but think of Thai food and how they utilize peanuts. It's a cold noodle dish and in my opinion, is quite good.

I still don't know when and where this potluck is though, so hopefully I found out before I make the food.

This weekend will be filled with organization, reflection, and of course, lots of reading for next week. Hopefully it'll involve some fun and socialization too.

Okay, guess I should head to class now.

No comments: