Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Grand Internet Experiment

I might be labeled an Internet addict. I often times find myself struggling to get to bed at a decent hour because I start browsing youtube.com before bed. I watch a short clip. It's 3 or 4 minutes...but when it finishes another interesting clip pops up, and then another.

Before I know it 2 hours have gone by and I've watched dozens of random clips spanning a cornucopia of subjects. I feel smarter and more worldly, but I'm also a lot more tired.

I have a very extreme personality - moderation is very difficult for me so the only way for me to control myself consumption of something is to go all or nothing.

So I've decided I will have no computer at home during the work week. At least not my desktop - I'll still permit myself to use my work computer if I need to. However using a work laptop is pretty unwieldy and plus I won't install Flash and Shockwave and all the other plugins I need to play amusing little online games. Having to stare at a small screen and use an unprecise touchpad are enough of a deterrent to keep me from wasting a lot of time on the computer.

I've gone one day so far - let's see if my productivity increases. My prediction is that I'll attempt to fill in the time by watching more TV and gradually relax my black and white restrictions.

Hopefully my predictions are wrong.

2 comments:

Demers said...

Haha, nice creepy picture on the side of your page.

As for your experiment, I like it. It'll probably work. But why can't you just learn to not use YouTube for hours at night?

allovertheeowl said...

Because I have problems with moderation and youtube is designed such that it's extremely easy to get lured into watching a long chain of short clips.