Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Resistance is Futile

Several weeks ago I added ads to my site in hopes of making a few cents every decade, but mostly for the fact that having ads makes my site look a bit more legitimate than it really is.

Google Adsense places 'contextual ads' on my site, meaning Google reads the content of my site and determines what advertisements would be of most interest to my readers. Since my recent post focused on McCain's selection of Sarah Palin for VP, a ad for McCain popped up.



The first thing I thought when I saw the ad was 1984. A smiling picture of McCain followed by a simple message: "Invest in Victory". Anyone who has read Orwell's famous work should see the similarities in tone. You're not just making a donation to his campaign, you're putting a bet down on the winning horse.

What adds even more to this creepy, Big Brotheresque feel is that the group sponsoring the ad is called the "McCain-Palin Compliance Fund". That's right...COMPLIANCE. YOU WILL COMPLY. Sounds like something the Borg would say. Is there a connection?

No comments: