Thursday, February 7, 2008

Celebrity Basketball

So tonight at 6:30 I had the first playoff game of my winter basketball league. Our team has done terribly. I believe our record is 0-10 or 0-11. Anyway, we're winless and although we've had some close games we haven't been able to capture the elusive victory. So tonight I knew we had a full squad...8 guys so at least we'd be able to sub in and out. One part of our team's struggle had been to get enough people week in and week out but today that wasn't a problem. Instead our opposition was short-handed. They were missing their point guard and only had 5 people. Granted one of their 5 guys I doubt played in the league (he probably was a ringer brought in from a higher division) but still this was a huge advantage for our team.

We were able to keep a bit of a lead throughout the first half and went to half-time up 9. In the 2nd half I believe the other team got a bit more tired...and their offense was basically 2 people. One long black guy was getting in the lane at will and sometimes dishing to a taller fatter white guy who could score inside easily. But aside from that they had no offense. Our team ended up winning by double digits. I didn't play very well...I took 3 shots, was fouled on 2 and went to the line where I only hit 1/2 FTs both times. I got a few rebounds, made a few assists, but also had a few turnovers. I was playing man defense on their point guard so that really limited my opportunity to get rebounds and blocks.

It's funny, it turns out the guy I was guarding is none other than Rick Zolzer. Now I'm sure no one except for me knows who that is. Basically he comes in and does the sports report on 101.5 WPDH which is the main radio station I listen to. In fact I heard him this morning before I left for work.

Now later in the day I'm guarding him in basketball. I could tell it was him from his voice but it definitely wasn't spot on - the radio mics must make you sound a bit different.

Anyway, this guy used to be the PA announcer for the New Jersey Nets.

Here's his Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Zolzer

Just an odd experience to meet a local celebrity like that. But I'm more happy that our team that went 0-fer in the regular season picked up its first win in the playoffs.

Let's see if we can make like the Giants and go on an improbable run to the championship.

No comments: