Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Night Owls

My mother told me that when I was a baby I would refuse to go to bed unless everyone else in the house was asleep. She'd attempt to put me in my crib and soothe me until I fell asleep, but as soon as she left I'd start crying.

To this day I haven't changed.

I always like to be the last one to fall asleep. It isn't because I have some macho complex where sleeping early is a sign of weakness. It's because I feel like I'm missing out on things if I go to bed while people are stirring.

I know, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense because the later I go to bed, the later I rise. Somehow, what people do prior to noon doesn't interest me a great deal.

Only when I'm free of all other distractions do I feel at peace enough to sleep. I also do most of my blog-writing and reading in the wee hours of the morning.

There's a tranquil lucidity at 1 AM.

1 comment:

Demers said...

There's also tranquility at 5 AM.