Thursday, November 13, 2008

Your Death

How often do you think about your death? I don't think about the details of my demise much, but I've decided on one thing. I want Adagio for Strings by Barber to be played at my funeral.

I had the privilege of performing this piece when I was a member of a youth symphony. It was extremely powerful, almost bordering on a spiritual experience.

You may recognize it from the ending scenes of Platoon where a wounded Charlie Sheen is surveying the scarred battlefield of Vietnam as he's airlifted out by helicopter.

I encourage you to watch the entire video below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of classical music per se, but some pieces, like this one, I can see being especially poignant.

Allovertheeowl, you should put a survey up on your blog about content your readers would like to see, similar to the one that Data Driven Decisions has. Just a thought - as a subscriber to your blog, I always like hearing what you have to say.
:)

Mike Todd said...

Beautiful stuff, man. I'm thinking of going out to "Another One Bites the Dust."

allovertheeowl said...

Forgetting:
I could put up a survey, but that would be against the philosophy of this blog - being that I write whatever I feel like writing.

Mike:
This is totally random, but apparently that Queen song, as well as Stayin' Alive from Saturday Night Fever contain beats which can be used to pace chest compressions while doing CPR. No joke.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27221281/

Demers said...

Gotta love the emotions on the conductor's face.
You may want to check out Adagio for Strings by Tiesto as well. Totally different type of music, but also powerful.